On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

> > On 09 Sep 2015, at 17:25, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > On 07/09/2015 18:41, Andy Bierman wrote:
> >>
> >> Your example shows the YANG conformance problems fairly well.
> >> Clearly the IETF (and others) want to use advanced design patterns
> >> in which conformance to the base module (M) is insufficient to describe
> >> the actual API requirements.
> >>
> >> YANG uses revision dates to identify versions.
> >> There is no such thing as a major vs. minor revision.
> >> I agree with Lada that it is possible to have major revision update
> >> where the old clients should not be used anymore.
> >>
> >> I already suggested relaxing the MUST NOT to a SHOULD NOT,
> >> wrt/ adding mandatory nodes.
> > I support that - it seems to strike the right pragmatic balance to me.
>
> I support that, too.

I don't think it really addresses the design pattern very well.

You want to claim that M and Q are both being developed at the same time,
so it's OK that Q adds mandatory nodes to M.  YANG has no such rule.
YANG says a server can implement M and never implement Q.
YANG says a server may implement M and then add Q in a future release.
These conformance mechanisms do not align with your expectations
of how YANG can/should be used.

> Lada

Andy