Einar,

On 9/10/2015 8:43 AM, Einar Nilsen-Nygaard (einarnn) wrote:
> Lou,
>
> Speaking as an embedded device developer, I think the point here is
> that up until today there are not very many systems that specifically
> show the applied config in exactly the same "syntax" as used for
> providing the intended config. Yes, the applied config can be implied
> from the output of show commands, but not in a way that is directly
> correlatable to the config the operator intended, by either operators
> themselves or by automation tools.
>
> I completely agree that providing a mechanism whereby management
> systems and operators can easily see the correlation is important, but
> we do have to realize that this will likely be a non-trivial exercise
> for embedded systems to support this in the way the "opstate" draft or
> any other draft intends for the distributed or asynchronous use cases,
> and I speak from experience based on some work we are currently
> undertaking on /similar/ ideas and applying them to existing embedded
> systems.

Agree 100%.  I responding to the point that no systems "allow for
observing the intended and applied state separately".  I think they do,
but you certainly are also correct that the format (and UI) is
completely different and there is a real cost in both development and
runtime for support this new capability .

Lou