Hi -

The "naked ANY" construct was removed from ASN.1 in the last
decade of the previous century.  It caused too many problems
for parsers, especially for some non-BER transfer syntaxes.
(Akin to some of the JSON challenges we've seen here.)  The
ASN.1 world has been chugging happily along without it, AFAICT.

The "ANY DEFINED BY" construct was replaced by the "object
class field type".  See ISO/IEC 8824-1:2003 section 3.6.51
(especially the three notes) and ISO/IEC 8824-2:2003 section 14.
Although the bits on the wire remain the same, the notation is
quite different.

Randy