Hi Kent,

On 23/09/2015 17:15, Kent Watsen wrote:

Jonathan Hansford writes: The requirements talk about both synchronous and asynchronous systems (1(D), 3, 3(A)) but really only address the behaviour for asynchronous systems. Would it not be worth clarifying the relationship between the intended and applied configurations for synchronous systems (i.e. they are the same), hence there is no need for synchronous requirements equivalent to 1(D) and 3(A)?

Ultimately, I think we need normative text in the "Terminology Section" for a "synchronous system" and "asynchronous system". Would someone care to take a stab providing these two definitions?

First stab only, probably needs some tweaking ...

I find that the term "system" is a bit ambiguous in this context. It is talking about the NMS, the server, or both together?

Anyway, I've tried to define them relative to the configuration operations being performed.

Synchronous configuration operation - A configuration request that the server applies synchronously with respect to the client request. Before the server replies back to the client indicating the success or failure of the operation it MUST semantically validate the contents of the request and update the intended configuration of the target datastore. If the request is to the running datastore then the configuration change MUST also be applied in the system before the server replies back to the client. The reply to the client indicates whether there are any semantic errors or system errors from applying the configuration change.

Asynchronous configuration operation - A configuration request that the server applies asynchronously with respect to the client request. Before the server replies back to the client indicating the success or failure of the operation it MUST semantically validate the contents of the request and update the intended configuration of the target datastore. If the request is to the running datastore then the configuration change is applied to the system after the server has replied back to the client. The reply to the client only indicates whether there are any semantic errors in the configuration change.

Synchronous system - NETCONF/RESTCONF client/server interactions that processes all configuration operations as synchronous configuration operations.

Asynchronous system - NETCONF/RESTCONF client/server interactions that processes all configuration operations as asynchronous configuration operations.

Thanks,
Rob

PS: please Reply-All to this thread, rather than post comments on the GitHub issue tracker.

Thanks,
Kent