On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:03:25AM +0200, Balazs Lengyel wrote:
> The embedded choice is clearly a case of over-complicating YANG. It was
> a poor choice to allow such cases.
> Sorry :-) couldn't resist.
>
> But seriously, one reason we wanted to design a new modeling language
> instead of reusing e.g. XSD was because XSD is too complicated, and then
> we get embedded choice ?

I think embedded choices were in YANG 1 and hence this is not a new
issue specific to YANG 1.1. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am personally fine with embedded choices if the semantics are well
defined so that implementations interpret them the same way. Have you
tested different tools?

/js

PS: It is possible to write obfuscated code in almost all languages; I
    think the question is more whether the regular common use of the
    language is intuitive. A good language IMHO follows a set of
    simple general rules; attempts to rule out constructions that some
    people find obscure can turn a set of simple general rules into a
    complicated collection of special case constructions that make
    language maintenance and implementation a nightmare.