On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 01:59:52PM +0100, Robert Wilton wrote:
> > >As said before, an OS kernel usually does not track where resource
> > >parameters were coming from. (An interface has a set of IP addresses
> > >and the kernel usually does not know which addresses were coming from
> > >a configuration daemon, a dhcp daemon, a tunneling daemon, a command
> > >line utility, ...) The same may be true for line card. So in order to
> > >implement a very tight definition, one has to either 'guess' which
> > >'subset' of operational state can be related 'somehow' to the intended
> > >config and then report the result of the guess work as applied config
> > >or one would have to to change daemons/kernels/linecards to have a
> > >tracking number or something like that.
> >
> > Inferring the applied config state from the operation state is one way
> > of doing this.
> >
> > An alternative way is for the NC/RC server to maintain separate internal
> > state for intended vs applied cfg nodes.  Then the NC/RC server would
> > update the applied cfg node when the internal IPC to program that
> > configuration had completed for all affected subsystems.
>
> But the reality is that the NC/RC won't know. I invoke a system call
> to tell the kernel what I want changed. The kernel sometimes says OK
> before all components have been finally updated. The problem remains
> to define what exactly applied config is. So are we only talking about
> implementations that do not initiate the 'IPC' immediately or that
> initiate the 'IPC' but may not wait for a completion of the 'IPC'?

I agree -- even closed system code can be layered such that the
server does not know if the command has been fully applied or not.

> Since this all sounds somewhat academic, do we have operational
> evidence that NC/RC implementations do exhibit significant delays
> between ACKing a config change and the config change becoming
> communicated to the subsystems affected?

I have asked this question several times, but no answer so far.
It certainly depends on the data models and the implementation.
How slow is slow enough so that retrieving a lot of meta-data is
worthwhile?
5 sec? 5 min? 5 hours?  Nobody seems to know.

> /js

Andy