Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
>
> > Balazs Lengyel <balazs.leng...@ericsson.com> wrote:
> > > Hello Martin,
> > > I agree that A1 is what follows the spirit of YANG, but then IMHO you
> > > should change/correct 8.2.1 in YANG because that implies A2 and error.
> >
> > Ok, I agree.  I suggest we remove from 8.2.1:
> >
> >    o  If data for a node tagged with "when" is present, and the "when"
> >       condition evaluates to "false", the server MUST reply with an
> >       "unknown-element" error-tag in the rpc-error.
> >
> > and add to 8.2.2:
> >
> >   o  Modification requests for nodes tagged with "when", and the "when"
> >      condition evaluates to "false".  In this case the server MUST reply
> >      with an "unknown-element" error-tag in the rpc-error.
> >

> This seems like a BIG protocol change to <edit-config> behavior.
> IMO this not an error at all.  In our server the false-when data is just
> pruned, and no error is ever sent for a pruned when=false data node.

So you are not following the current RFC 6020 spec?

I don't think this is a BIG protocol change, since the spec already
says that requests for nodes w/ false when expressions MUST send
error.  The change is to say that this behavior is true regardless of
evaluation order.

> It may be a client programming error for the client to provide
> false when nodes or not.  What if the client is reusing some
> code that sends 5 parameters, it it's OK if 1 of them gets
> pruned sometimes because of a false when (e.g, product
> feature-specific knob and that feature is not installed)

Well, it might be simpler to send if-featured nodes that the specific
server doesn't support - this is also an error in 6020.

> BTW, this is a really good example of what not to do, if one
> wants to make the YANG specification protocol independent.

That statement is true for the entire section 8.2, it is not
specifically true for this change.