On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 09:28:57AM +0000, William Lupton wrote:
> All,
>
> We would much appreciate comments and suggestions on the question posed below.

[...]

Good question. Is this question comparable to IEEE 802.3 interfaces
and Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)? In the past, I think we have seen
different approaches and I am not sure there is agreement on a common
approach. For 802.3 MAUs, MAU details were modeled in data models
extending a single interface. For other technologies, interface
layering seemed to be more appropriate. It would be nice if there
would a common understanding how to model interface specifics
consistently but I am afraid we have no common model. The
ietf-interfaces module essentially allows both approaches. It leaves
it open, however, to decide which approach is appropriate.

/js

PS: A pure layering approach would treat an IP interface as an
    interface layered on top of say an IEEE 802.3 interface but
    the ietf-ip module does not really force this since many
    implementations do not expose this layering. If I would do
    a clean slate design, I would likely, from a architectural
    point of view, go with a layering approach.