Hi Rob,

Seems we are pretty close with our understanding, so snipping the only
discussion point left, with further comments:

Gert

<snip>
The real problem is what you called in another email  'hybrid' or
cheating-synchronous implementations. This leads to a situation where the
client is made to believe the intended config is applied, but the server still
didn't apply it yet. Take the case where the server runs into trouble after the
synchronous-commit (which lets the client believe that the intended config is
applied) and decides to roll-back. From a client perspective this would look
like a node randomly losing its committed configuration. There is tons of code
required on the client side to cope with that situation. So what was the
purpose of implementing it that way in the first place - instead of just
applying an asynchronous implementation?
Yes, I agree that handling rollback could be a problem in this scenario,
and hence I would propose that the behaviour in such a scenario is
explicitly documented as being undefined in whatever solution is agreed
upon :-)
Gert> sadly, we can’t roll time back. So the best option is indeed to document
the issue and move on to improve things

Otherwise assuming that all requests are strictly synchronous or
asynchronous then I think that we should be OK with the following two
rules on the server:

  1.  All edit-config requests must strictly be processed in order.

Gert> yes, although there are corner cases we need to hash out.  I.e. a client
may set  a leaf to <x> followed by setting it to <y>. Then a server may skip
setting it to <x>, because it is anyhow overwritten by <y>.

2) You cannot tell a client that a request has been full applied unless
all previous requests specifying rollback-on-error semantics with any
overlapping nodes with the current request have either be applied or
aborted (i.e. rolled back)

Gert> with “have bee full applied” you meant a state that I tentatively named
‘validated’  in my earlier email?  I am a bit sensitive to naming here because
of those ‘cheating synchronous nodes’ would return ‘applied’ without actually
doing so in full. It would be great if we could quickly converge on some naming
convention to remove ambiguity.
The rule holds true but I don’t see a dependency on “rollback-on-error”
semantics. In my view it is applicable also in cases of "continue-on-error” and
“stop-on-error” in the sense that unless any error has been reported, the
client still needs to wait for the ‘validated’ state before it can reliably
assume the config was applied.

<snip>