[As a contributor]

Gert> If a client is has the intention to update/change a config, its decision
is based on the present state of the configuration when the decision is taken.
Ideally the present configuration is in a state where intended == applied
config, so there is stable ground upon which a change is applied. However there
is also the case where intended != applied config and there are two reasons for
that.

a)      a previous intended config is in the process of being applied

b)      a previous configuration failed due to an error

[KENT] or due to missing hardware, right?   Regardless, I don’t think this
thread has bearing of the requirements draft.  Note that I removed the
*-on-error terms from the Terminology section in -02 by instead rewording
requirement 2-C, which was the only place they were being referenced before and
the reference was merely suggestive (not normative).  Can we leave it to the
solution drafts to sort out?