> On 11 Jan 2016, at 15:58, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/01/2016 14:27, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>>> On 11 Jan 2016, at 15:11, Juergen Schoenwaelder
>>> <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

>>> If there is time delay between editing intended and the applied config
>>> matching the edits of intended, then I supose this can happen (I
>>> delete a resource from intended but it is still around until intended
>>> has been fully synced). I would find it interesting if some edits are
>> Using applied config for system-controlled entries would require that such
>> an entry stays (forever) in applied config even after it has been deleted
>> from intended.
> I think that this would make life harder for clients.

Hmm, I would say the opposite. For one, we could simplify the data models by
reducing the duplicities in configuration and state trees.

> With the requirements as they are today, the client gives the intended config
> to the system, which it can monitor until the applied config matches the
> intended config.  At this point it knows everything is good and the config is
> fully applied.  Over time, if everything is behaving as expected, the client
> can reasonably expect that the applied configuration will always converge on
> the intended configuration.

One could argue that leafs with default values are in applied configuration
before they appear in intended. So my idea was to extend this to default
entries of certain lists.

> Using applied config for system-controlled entries would break the simple
> logical relationship between intended and applied configuration, since there
> are now some special entries for which this rule does not always apply.

The introduction of applied configuration would mean significant complications
to all protocols, and perhaps even to YANG (although I'd hope not). Solving
only the synchonicity issue with it is IMO insufficient payoff for all the
troubles.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs