Moving from xpath 1.0 to a newer version of xpath impacts certain
implementations in non-trivial ways. Note that the WG charter says:

  The NETMOD Working Group will produce a maintenance release of the
  core YANG specification called YANG 1.1, that is a revision of RFC
  6020. The changes to RFC 6020 are restricted in the following ways:

  - All compliant YANG 1.0 modules must be accepted as compliant YANG
    1.1 modules.

  - All known ambiguities of YANG 1.0 and all reported defects and
    errata will be addressed.

  - YANG 1.1 is not adding fundamentally new data modeling concepts to
    the language.

  - The changes of the specification will be kept to the minimum
    necessary to achieve the previously stated goals.

Moving to a more powerful version of xpath is out of scope for YANG
1.1. Note that we are wrapping things up, the deadline for submitting
feature requests has long passed.

/js