On 2016-05-02 18:34, "netmod on behalf of Juergen Schoenwaelder"
<netmod-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of
j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 05:22:03PM +0000, Robert Wilton wrote:
>>
>> 2. Personally, for a datastore solution, I would prefer if the new
>> datastore was for the intended configuration, and that the applied
>> configuration was stored in the same datastore (running?) as all the
>> rest of the operational state.
>
>The running datastore is a configuration datastore, it does not hold
>operational state.
>
>> If the logical flows of system information is as follows:
>>  [candidate] -> intended cfg -> applied cfg -> derived state
>>
>> Then it seems strange to bundle intended cfg & derived state together
>>in
>> one datastore, and to have applied-cfg separate (a bit like an unwanted
>> step child).
>
>This is not what is being proposed. We always had
>
>[candidate] -> [running] -> operational state
>
>(and I mark configuration data stores in []). Both [candidate] and
>[running] have the same configuration data model. Now we are asked
>to expose that [running] may not be applied synchronously and hence
>
>[candidate] -> [running] -> [applied] -> derived state
>
>seems to make sense.

The mapping of what is called intended-config onto data stores would
deserve more detailed discussion. It seems the authors of this draft had
in mind to associate intended-cfg with the [running] datastore. With that
mapping, a failure in applying [running] to [applied] will update the
[running] datastore to reflect which part is effectively applied. So a
fair representation of that case would be:
[candidate] -> [running] <--> [applied] -> derived state

In the context of intended configuration however that doesn¹t make sense
to me. A failure in applying intended configuration doesn¹t change the
intention and the delta between intended and applied-config is the key
value. A server that would "clean-up² intended-cfg in presence of a
failure to apply would look picture perfect instead of exposing the
problem clearly. Hence the sequence should more look like:
[candidate] -> [intended] ‹> [running==applied] -> derived state

Whatever we choose, I believe we need to spell out what¹s the data in a
failure case. It¹s probably a bit late to update the requirements draft,
but we can probably find a suitable place.