All,

Here in the Broadband Forum we are defining YANG modules that augment RFC 7223
ietf-interfaces. We want to limit interface name maximum length and character
set but don't see a way of doing this in the YANG.

Can/should we do do this in the YANG, or should it just be a device-level
requirement?

Thanks,
William

---- notes ----

We considered the "arbitrary-names" feature but reckoned that this applies only
to user-controlled interfaces and therefore doesn't apply here.

We considered requiring use of a "deviate" statement to state device support
for shorter maximum length (64) and restricted character set (ASCII 32-126) but
we don't expect NETMOD to approve of this.