On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 02:28:03AM +0000, Rajiv Asati (rajiva) wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> Thanks for the clarity. I somewhat agree. Different lifetime shouldn't really
> cause any impact.
>
> One nit,
>
> When I pull out a configured interface, the operational state of this
> interface is gone but not the config - if I put the interface back, it
> should come up configured as before.
>
> Depends. If LC itself is removed, then all the related interfaces would be
> removed from the running-config. And reinserting the LC may not bring their
> individual conf back (ignoring the notifications).

Assuming LC means line card if not discard the following (and explain
what LC means). I believe the answer here is that systems treat this
differently and there is no universal answer. Some systems seem to
store line card config on the line card itself, other systems
associate config with the physical location of a port or interface,
yet others associate config with a name of an interface (which may not
indicate the physical location of an interface). Since implementations
really differ here, we support multiple implementation options in the
interfaces data model.