From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de]
Sent: 19 April 2016 09:12
To: William Ivory <wiv...@brocade.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] Question about updating YANG modules

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 08:02:24AM +0000, William Ivory wrote:

> OK - but changing from int8 to int16 still allows all previously
> allowed values, and simply adds some more, making it less restrictive.
> That isn't allowed though as noted in the bullet point from section 10
> below.

Obviously, the set of allowed values changes when you replace int8 with int16.

> What about extending a union that previously included say just strings to
> include int8 as well - is that allowed under section 10 rules?

This is an interesting question. Assuming you had

  leaf a { type string; }

and you change it to

  leaf a { type union { type int8; type string; } }

then for the XML encoding the set of values does not change however for the
JSON encoding it does change. See the JSON document for subtleties associated
with unions.

To prevent damage for encodings that carry some type information, we might need
a stricter interpretation of YANG compatibility rules...

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jacobs-2Duniversity.de_&d=CwIBAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=GByLeg9jZvOv_AlgBo9uvdDrxizlOR7l_SnTXowyJU8&m=wSZwDXcoblI354__Ryu63C-eCizA9MGZlpaNGr9oamA&s=zU0Z5HyUEKygBVYhh9EtdPH-AfQ7IeFuMllqL3wEWs0&e=