Hi Jason,

> draft-nmdsdt-netmod-revised-datastores-00 mentions that “Templates
> are expanded when copied into <intended>”.
>
> That means the non-expanded template (i.e. the single copy of template data
> itself)
> is in the running.

Yes.

> Is that original non-expanded template data (which is presumably part of the
> schema)
> also present in the <intended> DS (along with the expanded copies of the
> data) ?

Yes, the YANG would have to define schema for both the template and expanded
forms.
No, having both data values in 'intended' that would be redundant and confusing.

> What would an RFC6243 <get-config> response from the <running> DS with
> ‘report-all’
> be expected to return for a leaf that is deleted in the ‘main’ part of the
> config but has
> been overridden by a value for that leaf in a template ?

RFC6243 'report-all' doesn't have any template awareness, it only relates to
default
values.   Assuming the deleted leaf has a default value, then that default
value would
be reported and, when using 'report-all-tagged', it would be tagged as such.

> Example -> some leaf-a with a default value of 50, that is not present in the
> config, but
> is present in a template that sets leaf-a to 55.   A ‘report-all’ response
> could show a
> value for leaf-a in the template and in the main part of the config.  What
> value would
> be returned for leaf-a in the main part of the config ?  50 (since ‘running’
> doesn’t have
> expanded templates) or 55 (i.e. the result of the value of leaf-a due to the
> template
> expansion) ?

50.

> The spirit of report-all seems to be to reflect what values the router is
> using, even when
> they aren’t explicitly configured.  So 55 is the actual value being used in
> the system.  But
> returning 55 would mean we are returning the ‘expanded’ view (which the
> running isn’t
> supposed to have).

What is needed is a <get-config> flag like 'report-inheritance' that does some
combination
of template-expansion and returning metadata for where values came from.
However, this
is only going to be defined when someone writes a "template" draft.

Kent (as a contributor)