Dale,

Thanks for the simplification. I have incorporated this in the next
draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model revision.

Regards,

Clyde

On 3/6/17, 12:53 PM, "Dale R. Worley" <wor...@ariadne.com> wrote:

    (We seem to be well beyond the original LC date, but this is only an
    editorial comment...)

    The algorithm in section 3 isn't clear to me (possibly because I'm not
    very familiar with syslog in practice):

       Selector processing (input is syslog message):

           1. Loop through facility-list
              a. Facility match processing - continue to the next entry in
                 the list if no match
              b. Severity compare processing - continue to the next list
                 entry if no match
              c. Match - proceed with the action and exit further processing
           2. Process pattern match if specified and if a match proceed with
              the action

    If I understand correctly, a message is processed if it matches any one
    element of facility-list OR the regexp.  In that case, I think you could
    it clearer by writing the pseudocode in a style that is more functional
    than imperative:

       A syslog message is processed if
           there is an element of facility-list (F, S) where
               the message facility matches F (if it is present)
           and the message severity matches S (if it is present)
           or the message text matches the pattern (if it is present)

    Dale