On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

> Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

> )

> > > That makes sense.
> > > Any other views?
> >
> > I don't feel strongly, but would it make more sense if instead
> > rfc6187bis stated that the file name SHOULD include the revision date?
> > I.e. 7950 states what the filename is allowed to look like and 6187bis
> > states what they should look like for IETF produced models.
>
> +1

This is fine, but this there is a larger goal of library consistency that is
impacted by this guideline. (such as the github/YangModels/yang repo.

1) changing the filename for each revision is not git-friendly
(if one wants to track changes over releases)

2) many revisions are actually obsolete work-in-progress
so keeping every old file around will grow into a problem

3) almost every import is import-without-revision so compiling the
old obsolete modules quickly breaks as the new work-in-progress version
makes incompatible changes.

However, import-by-revision breaks if you only keep the latest revision
around,
so these problems have to be managed by the YANG librarians ;-)