On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 13/04/2017 17:08, Andy Bierman wrote:
>

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:
>

>> > On 13 Apr 2017, at 13:34, t.petch <ie...@btconnect.com> wrote:

IMO it is more robust not to assume people never see the real YANG
statements.
What if these tools have bugs?  How would we ever know?

Allowing markup, e.g. so a paragraph of text can re-flow to fill a box
> seems useful to me, as does some sort of emphasis and lists.

This part confuses me.  I've written YANG to HTML tools (e.g.,
netconfcentral.org).
The tool has to render the entire module, not individual description-stmts.
Emphasis is usually formula-driven (like the keywords). The tool has to
know about the entire YANG module, not
just the descriptions.

> I also note that quite a lot (most?) language API documentation tools
> generally take some form of structured text, rather than relying on
> text/plain.

This makes sense if
  (1) the entire document is subject to markup, not little pieces
  (2) the only tool that needs to use the raw markup is a browser
  (3) the actual markup allowed is strictly controlled and standardized

> But I do agree to the point that this work seems less urgent than some of
> other items that are being worked on in NETMOD.

Good -- work such as the OpenConfig module catalog will have a much bigger
impact
demystifying YANG than bold text or an IMG bullet points instead of *.