From: mile [mailto:mile-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Waltermire, David A.
(Fed)
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 3:55 PM
To: s...@ietf.org; ops...@ietf.org; netc...@ietf.org; netmod@ietf.org;
s...@ietf.org; m...@ietf.org; i2...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mile] PANIC Bar BoF Tonight @ 6:30pm CDT

The Posture Assessment Through Network Information Collection (PANIC) group
held an informal bar BoF at IETF 98 to discuss available protocols and data
models for assessing the posture of network equipment devices. A description of
PANIC is below, and a slide deck is attached describing the group's goals and
requirements. We had a productive discussion about the group's scope, and
agreed to continue the conversation on a non-working group mailing list.

The PANIC mailing list is now available for subscribers at this link:

If you are interested in the effort, please join the mailing list. A scoping
draft will be posted to the list in the next week. We look forward to your
feedback on it.

Regards,
Dave

PANIC Description:

The IETF SACM work group has been working to standardize the collection of
endpoint configuration and other posture information from enterprise endpoints.
Collecting this information is critical to support automation of common network
security tasks, including asset, software, vulnerability, and configuration
management. Thus far, our efforts have focused primarily on standards to
collect information in support of asset, software and vulnerability management
use cases for classical endpoint devices (e.g., servers, laptops, etc), and has
worked with other IETF members to determine what data would need to be to be
collected, and how that data would be securely communicated across the network.
Through such exchanges an organization can know what client endpoints are
connected to their network, and if they are vulnerable to attack.

Given the proliferation of attacks against network infrastructure devices, it
is clear that the next step in our enterprise security automation effort must
be to enable standardized reporting of similar information from network
infrastructure devices. With the growing number of Yang models and increased
adoption of NETCONF, RESTCONF, and related protocol work, we believe the time
is right to work out how these standards can be used to measure the health of
network devices. This information will, as in our efforts in SACM for client
devices, support asset, software, vulnerability, and configuration management
use cases. We hope to use existing management protocols to report this
information from network infrastructure devices, supporting multiple use cases
using the same set of management protocols. Such a mechanism will help network
defenders protect against known attacks, and provide the necessary knowledge to
detect and mitigate future attacks.