Dear all,

Good job on this document.

Some comments below.

-

OLD:

   o  learned configuration: Configuration that has been learned via
      protocol interactions with other systems that is not conventional
      or dynamic configuration.

NEW (is this what wou want to say?):
   o  learned configuration: Configuration that has been learned via dynamic
configuration
      or protocol interactions with other systems that is not conventional

Thinking some more about this definition. Let's come back to it.

-
o dynamic datastore: A datastore holding data obtained dynamically
      during the operation of a device through interaction with other
      systems, rather than through one of the conventional configuration
      datastores.

Should the dynamic datastore should say:
   o  dynamic datastore: A datastore holding configuration data obtained
dynamically ...

Background:
Reading this definition:
  o  system state: The additional data on a system that is not
      configuration, such as read-only status information and collected
      statistics.  System state is transient and modified by
      interactions with internal components or other systems.  System
      state is modeled in YANG using "config false" nodes.

I guessed that the system states don't include the content from the dynamic
datastore.
It's not obvious with the current definitions.

- This figure and section 4.7 text.

     +-------------+                 +-----------+
     | <candidate> |                 | <startup> |
     |  (ct, rw)   |<---+       +--->| (ct, rw)  |
     +-------------+    |       |    +-----------+
            |           |       |           |
            |         +-----------+         |
            +-------->| <running> |<--------+
                      | (ct, rw)  |
                      +-----------+

                      +------------+
                      | <intended> | // subject to validation
                      | (ct, ro)   |
                      +------------+
                            |        // changes applied, subject to
                            |        // local factors, e.g., missing
                            |        // resources, delays
                            |
                            |   +-------- learned configuration
       dynamic              |   +-------- system configuration
       datastores -----+    |   +-------- default configuration
                       |    |   |
                       v    v   v
                    +---------------+
                    | <operational> | <-- system state
                    | (ct + cf, ro) |
                    +---------------+

  Section 4.7

   <operational> contains system state and all configuration actually
   used by the system.  This includes all applied configuration from
   <intended>, system-provided configuration, and default values defined
   by any supported data models.  In addition, <operational> also
   contains applied data from dynamic datastores.

What about "learned configuration"

- Section 3.
The important question is whether the section 2 "datastore" and "configuration datastore" definitions are aligned with previous definitions or not.
I guess not. If this is the case, it should be clearly mentioned.

- Section 4.5
No need to repeat what's in the terminology section.

- Section 4.7

OLD:

   In the original NETCONF model the operational
   state only had "config false" nodes.

OLD:

   In the original NETCONF model (RFC6241 or section 3.1) the operational
   state only had "config false" nodes.

- Security Considerations.
You might want to stress that, even if this document contains YANG modules, those modules have no read or read/write leaves: only identities and a metadata. Hence "YANG module security guidelines" don't apply.
Now, there surely exist some security considerations anyway.

- Is appendix A normative?
Should it move to the document core?

Regards, Benoit