Benoit,

Precisely. I did start in yangcatalog.com with the search for ether-type and
found that it was defined as a string. It was helpful to get rid of the
duplicate definition we had in the ACL draft. But that raised the question of
whether it should be defined as a string, when ether-types are well known types.

Is there a IETF-IEEE co-ordination meeting planned in Prague?

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 3:25 AM, Benoit Claise <bcla...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> In order to look at what has been done already, the advice is to look at YANG
> search <https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/yang-search.php>.
> I searched on "ether.type" with the regex flag.
> <gidfollnniceccif.png> Don't pay attention to the last entry, this will be
> fixed.
>
> However, specifically pay attention to the second entry, the IEEE one.
> It points to
> https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/show_node.php?module=ieee802-dot1q-types&path=%2Fdot1q-types%3Aether-type&revision=2016-09-22
>
> <https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/show_node.php?module=ieee802-dot1q-types&path=%2Fdot1q-types%3Aether-type&revision=2016-09-22>
>
> Regards, Benoit
>> Created issue #3 in github <https://github.com/netmod-wg/acl-model/issues/3>
>> as "The model defines 'ether-type' node as a string.” with the following
>> description.
>>
>> The model defines 'ether-type' node as a string. Ideally, this should be a
>> well defined list of all Ethernet Types assigned by IEEE. This requires
>> collaborating with IEEE.
>>
>> One suggestion was to define ether-type as identities. That works for when
>> the identities themselves are distributed and need to be made extensible.
>>
>> But Ethernet Types are doled out in IEEE by Registration Authority Committee
>> (RAC), so they could choose to centrally define it as an enum and give each
>> hex string a name that could be used by models. If a user wants to configure
>> a particular ether-type, the server must import a version of the IEEE 8021q
>> model that has that enumeration.
>>
>> Alternatively, as @mbj4668 <https://github.com/mbj4668> has suggested, it
>> could also be a typedef like this:
>>
>>     typedef ether-type {
>>       type union {
>>         type ieee-ether-type:ether-type-enum;
>>         type uint16; // or a hex-based number
>>       }
>>     }
>> Finally, the suggestion is to have ether-type defined as a number (or hex
>> based). This is flexible, but requires users/operators to read and write
>> numbers which are harder to remember than symbolic names.
>>
>> My personal preference would be for IEEE to define and publish the YANG
>> model with the definitions.
>>
>> Mahesh Jethanandani
>> mjethanand...@gmail.com <mailto:mjethanand...@gmail.com>

Mahesh Jethanandani