On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:33 AM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

> Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Randy Presuhn <
> > randy_pres...@alumni.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > The <rpc> is not really in a datastore at all.
> > It may have input and output parameters with leafref and must/when
> > statements.
> > These are evaluated in the <operational> context.
> > The <rpc> may in fact be something like <edit-config>
> > which has parameters (like <config> to apply to
> > a specific datastore.
> >
> > The action node is embedded within some data that has to be parsed
> > in a specific datastore before the action is processed.
> > This data is required to be in <operational>.
> > It also has XPath and leafref that needs to be resolved (same as <rpc>).
> >
> > The side effects of the <rpc> or <action> can impact other datastores.
> > This would be defined in the description-stmt and this is not a problem.
>
> This is exactly right.  We need to capture this in the text.

I don't think the new text is very clear.
The system side effects are irrelevant, but both the same for rpc and
action.

The only issues relevant to YANG are:
   - datastore used to evaluate action ancestor nodes
   - datastore used to evaluate input parameter leafref, must, when
   - datastore used to evaluate output parameter leafref, must, when

These properties cannot be modified by description-stmt.
Not now, not ever. Not for rpc. Not for action.

It is irrelevant to NMDA whether the rpc or action modifies a datastore,
starts a playlist on a jukebox, or makes some toast.