From: Martin Bjorklund [mailto:m...@tail-f.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:47 PM
To: Bogaert, Bart (Nokia - BE/Antwerp) <bart.boga...@nokia.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-entity-06

Hi,

To summarize this, I think we have three options for the three nodes
'model-name', 'mfg-name', and 'serial-num':

   1.  Do nothing (keep the nodes as config true).

   2.  Make these three nodes config false (fairly simple change).
       (vendors can augment w/ their own config true nodes).

   3.  Add three new nodes for the configured values.

After thinking about this some more, and discussing with Benoit, I think the best path
forward is to do 2, i.e., mark the nodes 'model-name', 'mfg-name', and 'serial-num' as
"config false".  As such they would not be configurable, and thus contain the
detected values.
If no value is detected, the node is not present.

Note that 1 or 3 can be done in a future update to this module (or by a vendor).

/martin

Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
Hi,

"Bogaert, Bart (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <bart.boga...@nokia.com> wrote:
Hi,

--- snip ---

state.”, so the above sentence only applies for the second case below.
Ok.

2. The second case is that something is detected but it can’t be read.
We do not see a reason to use the value configured for the leafs
‘serial-num’, ‘mfg-name’ and ‘model-name’ of a matching entry in
the configuration data.  These leafs are defined as optional so
why would we report something entered by an operator in the
operational datastore that intends to report on what is detected?
Is it not better to not report them at all?  In an NMDA context it
would be possible to have a different value (or no value at all)
for certain leafs while there is something in the running/intended datastore.
The normal NMDA procedure for a configuration leaf is to repeat it
in operational state.  This is then the "applied configuration".
I don't think we should have a special rule for these leafs.

This also means that a client that just wants to read all the serial
numbers can do so from one place, the operational state, regardless
of how they came into existance.

[Bogaert, Bart ]

We do understand that a target of NMDA is to read out the actually
applied data in one request.  But the result should not be
confusion. A key word is “applied”.

Section 5.3 of draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-09 also contains
(I put a part of the section between ***):
The datastore schema for <operational> MUST be a superset of the
combined datastore schema used in all configuration datastores
except that configuration data nodes supported in a configuration
datastore ***MAY be omitted from <operational> if a server is not
able to accurately report them ***.
Note that this text talks about the *schema*.  It is intended for
servers to migrate to NMDA without having to instrument all config
nodes in <operational> immediately.  If you apply this to
ietf-hardware, it could be a server that implements the node
"serial-num" in config, but not in <operational> (which would be
weird).

For example, it is expected that the value of multiple leafs need to
be a consistent set, e.g. the mfg-name, the model-name, and the
serial-num.
Suppose we have a use case in which a hardware component is
planned/configured (e.g. a board supporting DSL interfaces) but a
different one is plugged (e.g. a board supporting ethernet
interfaces).
Suppose it is possible to read some fields on the detected component
but due to an issue not to read other fields.
If in that case the operational datastore will be completed with the
data taken from the running datastore, then the presented view might
be inconsistent.
This is true for other similar nodes as well - "asset-id" and "uri".

The question is also: what data is applied? Our assumption: if there
is a mismatch between detected versus configured hardware, then the
interface/service related data that is configured consistently with
the planned hardware is not applied on the mismatching hardware.
I.e. the detected hardware is not brought in service so not
‘applied’, the operational datastore only (accurately) reports on
what is detected.
If there is a mismatch and the server doesn't apply the configured
values, then obviously the configured 'mfg-name' etc are not copied to
<operational>.

We do not see this as a special rule for this data but rather would
apply a general rule:
-       if there is a ‘missing resource’, then the data is not reported in the
        operational datastore.
-       If the server is not able to report accurately, then the data is
        omitted from the operational
I think that if you want complete separation between the values of
'mfg-name', 'model-name', and 'serial-num' in configuration and
operational state, then these should be modelled as separate leafs.
We should have a config false leaf 'serial-num' that only contains the
detected value (if found), and a config true leaf 'config-serial-num'
or something, that contains the configured serial number.

But if this is the case, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave
such additional config objects to vendors, and simply make these three
nodes config false in ietf-hardware.

/martin

Regards, Bart

/martin