On 3/9/18 9:35 AM, Acee Lindem (acee) wrote:

As the editor of RFC 8294, I can confirm that we did not reach consensus on whether to use easily understandable regular expressions versus regular expressions that precisely validate the input string. During the protracted Working Group last call for this document, there were strong proponents of both lines of thinking. Given that we had started with the more complex precise regular expressions, that is what was retained (e.g., for BGP route-targets).

Okay, this is helpful input.

I raised the issue because rfc6087bis appears to be designed as a style guide. Having reviewed several YANG modules and seeing somewhat varied philosophies in this regard, it seemed like a prime candidate for including in such a guide, and I brought it up only because it was conspicuous by its absence. I wasn't intending to express a preference for one end of the spectrum or the other; I simply thought it was something that belonged in the document.

I can't determine from the conversation so far whether the discussions on rfc6087bis explicitly included this topic and decided not to cover it, or whether it was simply not brought up. However, the quoted text above tells me that reaching a quick consensus by the community of interest on the topic is pretty unlikely. Consequently, including such guidance probably means that the working group will need to have additional conversations about what such guidance would say. I'll leave it to the responsible AD to determine whether the document should go back to the working group for explicit consideration of this topic, or whether it should move forward without any guidance on the topic of regex completelness-versus-simplicity trade-offs.

/a