On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:33 AM, Joe Clarke <jcla...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/18 08:56, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While preparing draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext-02, it turned out that
> > it is not clear what, if any, restrictions should be enforced for
> > yang-data structures.  Even among the authors we have different ideas
> > for how this should work.
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > In 8040, the original yang-data extension had a restriction that said
> > that a yang-data structure MUST have exactly one container, since it
> > wouldn't be possible to have a yang-data structure in an XML instance
> > document otherwise.
> >
> > Since people want to use yang-data structures in other places, this
> > restriction was lifted in the new draft:
> >
> >    There is no longer an assumption that a yang data structure can
> >    only be used as a top-level abstraction, instead of nested within
> >    some other data structure.
> >

> > With this in mind, here's a use case that I think we ought to support:
> >
> >   rpc my-first-rpc {
> >     description
> >       "Bla bla...
> >        If an error occurs, <error-info> will contain an instance of
> >        the yang-data structure 'my-first-rpc-error-info'.";
> >   }
> >
> >   yang-data my-first-rpc-error-info {
> >     leaf reason { ... }
> >     container user-info { ... }
> >   }
> >
> >   rpc my-second-rpc {
> >     description
> >       "Bla bla...
> >        If an error occurs, <error-info> will contain an instance of
> >        the yang-data structure 'my-second-rpc-error-info'.";
> >   }
> >
> >   yang-data my-second-rpc-error-info {
> >     leaf reason { ... }
> >     leaf important-url { ... }
> >   }
> >
> > (maybe in the future we could even have a YANG extension statement to
> > formalize the description:
> >
> >    rpc my-first-rpc {
> >      opx:error-info-structure my-first-rpc-error-info;
> >    }
> >
> > but this is not point now.)
> >
> > In the example above, note that the leaf "reason" is present in both
> > structures.  IMO this is not a problem, since these structures are
> > used in different contexts.
> >
> > My point is that I think we should impose as few restrictions as
> > possible to the yang-data extension.  It should be up to the user of
> > yang-data to ensure that the structure is defined in such a way so
> > that it can be used properly.  For example, a structure that is
> > supposed to describe an XML instance document cannot define two leafs
> > at the top level.
> >
> > If the WG agrees with what I wrote above, we need to change the
> > augment-yang-data extension so that you would write for example:
> >
> >   yx:augment-yang-data /ex:my-first-rpc-error-info/ex:user-info {
> >   }
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I found the "single container only" policy to be too restricting.  I was
> [...]

How will your tool handle this?

module foo {
   x:yang-data fake-namespace1 {
      container top { ... }
   }

   x:yang-data fake-namespace2 {
      container top { ... }
   }

   container top { ... }

}

You parse an artifact file:

<top  xmlns="module-foo-namespace">
   <next> ... </next>
</top>

Current YANG says that the <toip> node can only be defined once.
This makes it possible for a parser to pick the correct schema.
If 2 or or more yang-data definitions have this name (foo:top)
then how does your tool pick the right one.?

This existing restriction in YANG serves a useful purpose.
Removing it would be unwise.

There is no restriction to limit the yang-data to a container.
This has already been removed.

My counter-proposal is to remove the argument for yang-data
since it servers no purpose:

  x:yang-data  {
     container top { ... }
  }