From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de]
Sent: 25 April 2018 16:12
To: Rohit R Ranade <rohitrran...@huawei.com>
Cc: netc...@ietf.org; netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] [netconf] Comments on draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-05

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:22:24AM +0000, Rohit R Ranade wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I plan to implement this draft and hence had some implementation related
> clarifications.
>

> 1.       I feel that there should be more text added about "origin" filtering
> mechanism. I am not clear about some aspects of origin filtering.
>
> RFC 8342 : NMDA RFC provides the below example
>
> <interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
>                  or:origin="or:intended">
>        <interface>
>          <name>lo0</name>
>          <description>loopback</description>
>          <ip-address or:origin="or:system">127.0.0.1</ip-address>
>          <ip-address>::1</ip-address>
>        </interface>
>      </interfaces>
> If user provides <origin-filter> as "system" ONLY, then he will NOT get this
> record in output. Because the keys have originated from "intended" . Right ?
> So, If user wants to get the system originated data, he MUST give all the
> origins in the <origin-filter> where the keys of the system data have
> originated from. Can you please confirm whether this is OK.

I would expect that <origin-filter>or:system</origin-filter> would select the
ip-address tagged with or:origin="or:system" and that the system would return
any necessary container or list elements and the necessary key elements (since
otherwise the value returned is just useless). So the result would be:

      <interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
                  or:origin="or:intended">
        <interface>
          <name>lo0</name>
          <ip-address or:origin="or:system">127.0.0.1</ip-address>
        </interface>
      </interfaces>

[Rohit R Ranade] While this looks OK for the origin filter, for the
negated-origin-filter, for the same example given above, if
<negated-origin-filter> or:intended<negated-origin-filter> is given, then it
will give the "system" related nodes even if it encountered the "intended" node
first, which the user definitely dint want included in the output ? Can you
please confirm whether this is OK.
   Can you please clarify whether the negated filter has higher priority than
the selected filter ?

> Another example given in RFC 8342 is as below:
>      <interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
>                  or:origin="or:intended">
>        <interface or:origin="or:system">
>          <name>lo0</name>
>          <ip-address>127.0.0.1</ip-address>
>          <ip-address>::1</ip-address>
>        </interface>
>      </interfaces>
>
> ?  Here keys are originated from "system", but it is under container of
> "intended". So if user gives "system" for "origin-filter", the output will
> still NOT have this instance output ?

We allow origin values on containers or lists in order to inherit them, i.e.,
to achieve a more compact encoding. Anyway, if a leaf node matches, then I
think any encompassing containers and list should be included in the result so
that the matching leaf can be reported. So you would return

      <interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
                  or:origin="or:intended">
        <interface or:origin="or:system">
          <name>lo0</name>
          <ip-address>127.0.0.1</ip-address>
          <ip-address>::1</ip-address>
        </interface>
      </interfaces>

instead of not returning anything at all.

> ?  Also the container is not defined as "presence" in C.3.  Interface
> Example, but still it has origin whether that is Ok ?

Why not?
[Rohit R Ranade] RFC 8342 Section 5.3.4
" The origin applies to all configuration nodes except non-presence containers.
 "

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>