On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 02:37:29PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:

> > I think we need to distinguish between the agreement on the
> > requirement, namely that a server should be able to provide support
> > for an old and a new definition, and agreement on the solution.
> >
> > Do you disagree with the requirement? Or do you disagree with the
> > consequences of implementing multiple versions of the same module
> > for some of the proposed new versioning schemes? Or both?
>
> I do not agree with the requirement that a server MUST be able to
> support multiple revisions of the same module, which is how I
> interpret 3.2.  If this is not the intention of 3.2, maybe it can be
> clarified.

Here is what 3.2 says:

       3.2  The solution MUST provide a mechanism to allow servers to
            simultaneously support clients using different revisions of
            modules.  A client's choice of particular revision of one or
            more modules may restrict the particular revision of other
            modules that may be used in the same request or session.

This does _not_ say servers MUST implement this.

Item 3.2 establishes a requirement and for some solutions it may be
easy to satisfy this requirement, for others it may be more costly to
satisfy this requirement.

The whole requirements exercise becomes a rather pointless exercise if
we remove requirements so that certain solutions look more attractive.
I have not seen a proposal that addresses all requirements and hence
at the end the WG needs to decide which tradeoffs make sense.

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>