>> The days of scraping from plain-text RFCs are over [1].  Extracting,
>> if needed at all, should be from the XML, where there are no such
>> issues. Extracting from the plain-text output makes about as much
>> sense as extracting from the HTML or PDF outputs.
>
> I am confused.  Are you saying that the unfolding algorithm only is
> supposed to work on data extracted from the XML version of the I-D or
> RFC?  If so, I think this needs to be clarified in the draft.

Quite!
If the problem is to extract from XML then there is no problem because
wrapping is not needed in the XML (unless manual wrapping has been done).
The problem to be addressed when Qin and I started this work was that
human-readable copies needed to include some form of wrapping, and we wanted
a format that made it abundantly clear that the wrapped version was not
normative, and told the reader how to unwrap in order to make valid
examples.

I fear we are losing touch with the problem statement.

Adrian