Hi Sasha, Martin,

Just one clarification below.

On 4/3/19, 7:05 AM, "Martin Bjorklund" <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    Alexander Vainshtein <alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com> wrote:
    > Martin,
    >
    > Lots of thanks for an interesting input.
    >
    > I have noticed that Appendix A in RFC
    > 8349<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8349#appendix-A>  defines the
    > key for static IPv4 and IPv6 unicast routes as
    > “destination-prefix”.

    Right (to be precise, the key is defined in the YANG models in section
    8 and 9).

yang-rib-extend<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rib-extend-01>
    > claims that it augments the model defined in 8349, therefore, to the
    > best of my understanding, it uses the same key for station IPv4 and
    > IPv6 unicast routes.

    Correct.

The way multiple alternatives are supported is via the existing RFC 8349
next-hop-list list.
This is keyed with an index. What the augmentation provides is a way to specify
preference for each next hop so that either ECMP or primary/backup uses case can
be supported. It is clear I need to expand the descriptive text for these
augmentations
in the draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rib-extend.

Thanks,
Acee

    > At the same time Appendix A in this draft does not define any keys
    > for the read-only RIB.
    >
    > Can you explain this controversy?

    Not sure there's a controversy.  The static route list is how you
    configure static routes, and the RIB is the operational state of all
    routes (static and others).  Two different things.

    The MIB had a single table to show routes and write routes.  I don't
    think the persistency of the routes you wrote into the MIB was
    defined; perhaps these can be viewed as being "static".

    /martin

<alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com<mailto:alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com>>
wrote:

    > [...]
    >

    > > Meanwhile, could you please explain the rationale for changing the
    >
    > > data model that has been defined in RFC 4292 (where both the
    >
    > > destination prefix and the next hop have been parts of the index in
    >
    > > the appropriate MIB table) ?
    >

    > > The side effect of this change is that it is not backward-compatible
    >
    > > with multiple existing RFC 4292-compliant RIB implementations:
    >

    > > -          Retrieval of such a RIB using YANG requires a stateful
mapper that

    > >            merges multiple RIB entries with the same destination prefix
and

    > >            different “simple” NH into a single entry with the
    >
    > >            next-hop-list
    >

    > Note that the "route" list in the rib doesn't have any keys.  This means
that you can report several entries with the same destination prefix.  So I
think that this design is compatible with the MIB design.