Hi Qin,

From: Qin Wu <bill...@huawei.com>
Date: Monday, August 5, 2019 at 10:11 AM
To: "draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model....@ietf.org"
<draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model....@ietf.org>
Cc: Routing WG <rt...@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>,
"Wangleilei (DOPRA SSP)" <wanglei...@huawei.com>
Subject: Add network instance name on interface, IPv4, IPv6

Hi, authors:

In RFC8529, the bind-network-instance-name leaf provides the association
between an interface and its associated NI.

However it is not clear to me why the same association between Ipv4/Ipv6 type
and its association NI

Should be provided as well? See model structure snippet defined in RFC8529 as
follows:
“
   augment /if:interfaces/if:interface:
     +--rw bind-ni-name?   -> /network-instances/network-instance/name
   augment /if:interfaces/if:interface/ip:ipv4:
     +--rw bind-ni-name?   -> /network-instances/network-instance/name
   augment /if:interfaces/if:interface/ip:ipv6:
     +--rw bind-ni-name?   -> /network-instances/network-instance/name
“

So the question is

Can we add different NI name for IPv4/IPv6 type? Isn’t IPv4 type and IPv6 type
and interface pointing to the same NI name?

Why IPv4 type and IPv6 type in IP data model can not inherit the same NI name
from the interface model since IP Data model is an extension to Interface Data
Model?

The model allows the IPv4/IPv6 level of granularity for network-instance
specification. However, many, if not most, implementations do not. My memory is
hazy as to which implementation(s) supports this.

Thanks,
Acee

Suppose we configure interface and associated IP addresses and assign this
interface to a NI,
Which configuration snippet is correct:
Option A:
{
"name": "eth1",
"type": "iana-if-type:ethernetCsmacd",
"ietf-ip:ipv4": {
"address": [
{
"ip": "192.0.2.11",
"prefix-length": 24
}
]
"ietf-network-instance:bind-network-instance-name": "vrf-red"
},
"ietf-ip:ipv6": {
"address": [
{
"ip": "2001:db8:0:2::11",
"prefix-length": 64
}
]
"ietf-network-instance:bind-network-instance-name": "vrf-red"
},
"ietf-network-instance:bind-network-instance-name": "vrf-red"
},
Option B:
{