On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 10:56:48AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 10:42 AM Juergen Schoenwaelder <
> j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 09:42:39AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> > >
> > > IMO the 4 separate ways to identify the schema are 3 too many, but that
> > > is what the WG wants.  It seems obvious that any reader of the file
> > > has to implement all 4 methods and any writer of the file is free to pick
> > > just one.
> > > So the feature does not really help.
> > >

> > The feature statements declare that implementation won't work
> > together. Back in a day, the IETF was all about interoperability (and
> > implementation costs). Nowadays we seem to be fine if implementations
> > declare that they won't work together. Well, still slightly better
> > than having implementations fail arbitrarity.
> >

> This is a text file stored on a USB stick.
> There is no client or server. Just readers and writers.
> So how does a YANG feature work here?
> The reader is supposed to know how to find out if this feature is set
> before opening the file?
>
> I don't see how server capabilities discovery is relevant to a
> YANG instance file.
> The reader code will simply attempt to read the file and fail if it
> encounters
> a format that is not implemented.

I assumed that the features are carried in the instance file, i.e.,
the file declares that it uses way X to announce the schema and then
the parser can fail with a suitable error message. If the features are
not carried in the file, then they indeed seem to be useless.

Perhaps there are Y different ways to announce the features of the
instance file as well, I did not check. ;-)

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>