Sorry all - I just noticed that my email client didn't thread all the responses
to this topic in with the original post. It looks like this has been heavily
discussed and I'll look through those emails.

From: netmod <netmod-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Sterne, Jason (Nokia -
CA/Ottawa)
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 5:51 PM
To: maqiufang (A) <maqiufang1=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>; netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] Should the "with-origin" parameter be supported for
<intended>?

Hi Qiufang,

In your first option, did you mean "understand a certain data node is from
<running> or from <system>" ?

It is an interesting question about whether the origin annotation could/should
be available in a read from <intended>, and what values that origin could take.

We should consider other transformations between <running> and <intended>
(besides the merging of <system>):
- active/inactive config
- configuration templates

Inactive config would simply be stripped and not appear in <intended> at all.
So nothing to discuss for that.

But would elements provided from within config templates have an 'origin' that
indicates what template it came from ?

I suppose the same question could apply to 'origin' in the <operational> DS.

Having origin purely available in the operational DS may not be complete
enough. Some config nodes may not be present in operational because they are
not "applied". So you wouldn't necessarily be able to get the full picture of
the origin of all intended config by just checking the origin in the
<operational> DS. Maybe that's an argument to have an origin in <intended> ?

Jason