That was a hypothetical example based on IPv6 Link Local addresses - not one
anyone has implemented or deployed.
Thanks,
Acee

On 4/12/22, 10:47 AM, "Joel M. Halpern" <j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:

    Juergen posted an example of where ip-address is used and zones are
    expected.

    Yours,
    Joel

    On 4/12/2022 9:24 AM, Acee Lindem (acee) wrote:
    > Joel,
    >
    > There are plenty of examples of where the ip-address types are used and a
zone is not accepted. Show me the examples where it is expected? I do have
reason to believe there aren't any significant usages of the ip-address types
where zone is accepted. Show me the models!!!!

<lsr-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:

    >      Do we have reason to believe that no one outside the IETF has used
    >      ip-address as we published in ways that need a zone?
    >
    >      It seems to me that the first step in the plan below is reasonable.
But

<mailto:40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
    >      > wrote:
    >      >
    >      >     Hi all,
    >      >
    >      >     Thanks for the comments on this thread so far.  It would be
nice if
    >      >     we are able to come to some sort of rough consensus to a
solution.
    >      >
    >      >     I think that there is consensus that the YANG type ip-address
(and
    >      >     the v4/v6 versions) are badly named as the prominent default
type
    >      >     name has been given to the unusual variant of including zone
    >      >     information.
    >      >
    >      >     Based on the comments on this thread, it also seems likely to
me
    >      >     that most of the usages of ip-address in YANG RFCs is likely
to be
    >      >     wrong, and the intention was that IP addresses without zones
was
    >      >     intended.  At a rough count, of the published RFC YANG models
at
    >      >     github YangModels/standard/ietf/RFC/ to be:
    >      >              86 uses of ip-address
    >      >              68 uses of ipv4-address
    >      >              66 uses of ipv6-address
    >      >
    >      >              1 use of ip-address-no-zone
    >      >              4 uses of ipv4-address-no-zone
    >      >              4 uses of ipv6-address-no-zone
    >      >
    >      >     These types appear in 49 out of the 141 YANG modules published
in
    >      >     RFCs.  At a quick guess/check it looks like these 49 YANG
modules
    >      >     may appear in 40-50 RFCs.
    >      >
    >      >     As mentioned previously, it is also worth comparing this to the
    >      >     OpenConfig YANG modules:
    >      >     They have redefined ip-address (and v4/v6 variants) to exclude
zone
    >      >     information and have defined separate types include zone
information.
    >      >     There are no explicit uses of the "-zoned" variants of
OpenConfig IP
> [...]
that
    >      >     implements a data node using ip-address would be expected to
support
    >      >     IP zones, where they are meaningful, or otherwise they should
    >      >     deviate that data node to indicate that they don't conform to
the model.
    >      >
    >      >     We also need to be realistic as to what implementations will
do.
    >      >     They are not going to start writing code to support zones just
    >      >     because they are in the model.  They will mostly reject IP
addresses
    >      >     with zone information.  Perhaps some will deviate the type to
    >      >     ip-address-no-zone, but probably most won't.
    >      >
    >      >     The option of respinning approx. 40-50 RFCs to fix this
doesn't feel
    >      >     at all appealing.  This would take a significant amount of
    >      >     time/effort and I think that we will struggle to find folks
who are
    >      >     willing to do this.  Although errata could be used to point
out the
    >      >     bug, then can't be used to fix it, all the errata would be
"hold for
    >      >     document update" at best.  Further, during the time that it
would
    >      >     take us to fix it, it is plausible that more incorrect usages
of
    >      >     ip-address will likely occur (but perhaps could be policed via
    >      >     scripted checks/warnings).
    >      >
    >      >
    >      >     I still feel the right long-term solution here is to get to a
state
    >      >     where the "ip-address" type means what 99% of people expect it
    >      >     mean, i.e., excluding zone information.
    >      >
    >      >     Given the pushback on making a single non-backwards compatible
    >      >     change to the new definition, I want to ask whether the
following
    >      >     might be a possible path that gains wider consensus:
    >      >
    >      >     (1) In RFC 6991 bis, I propose that we:
    >      >     (i) define new ip-address-with-zone types (and v4 and v6
versions)
    >      >     and keep the -no-zone versions.
    >      >     (ii) we change the description of "ip-address" to indicate:
    >      >     - Although the type allows for zone information, many
    >      >     implementations are unlikely to accept zone information in most
    >      >     scenarios (i.e., so the description of the type more accurately
    >      >     reflects reality).
    >      >     - A new ip-address-with-zone type has been introduced to use
where
    >      >     zoned IP addresses are required/useful, and models that use
    >      >     ip-address with the intention of supporting zoned IP addresses
MUST
<mailto:cho...@chopps.org>>
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-yang-10.txt