That does summary below does not match what others have said on this thread.

Yours,
Joel

On 4/14/2022 12:23 PM, Andy Bierman wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 8:01 AM Acee Lindem (acee) <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:

    While RFC 4001 really didn't need to extend the zone index to IPv4,
    the conversation also pertains to IPv6 address types. At least RFC
    4001 got it right by not making the zone index part of the default
    types and defining ipv4z and ipv6z.

So is this a correct summary:

  - zone index is not used in IPv4 at all
  - zone index is not configured by a client in IPv6 at all
 - zone index is assigned by the system (as needed) to IPv6 link-local addresses

I want to add a server option in our code to always reject (or alter)
an edit that contains a zone index.  I need to know the consensus on
whether it is OK to ignore a zone index from a client.
Nothing in RFC 6241 suggests that this is OK for <edit-config>.

    Thanks,
    Acee

Andy

    On 4/14/22, 10:04 AM, "Lsr on behalf of Martin Björklund"
    <lsr-boun...@ietf.org <mailto:lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
    mbj+i...@4668.se <mailto:mbj%2bi...@4668.se>> wrote:

         I thought the discussion was only about ipv4?

         /martin

         Jürgen Schönwälder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de
    <mailto:j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de>> wrote:
         > On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 03:23:31PM +0200, Martin Björklund wrote:
         > > Hi,
         > >
         > > First of all, I agree that if we were to design this from
    scratch, I
         > > think we should have a type for just an ip address, and use
    a second
         > > leaf for the zone (or interface).
         > >
         >
         > The notation 'fe80::4d9:ff04:4fa6:7980%en0' is widely
    supported in
         > application space. The IPv6 working group has a recurring
    debate on
         > the usage of zoned IPv6 address in URLs [1], where the debate
    is about
         > the question whether the % needs to be escaped or not. I do
    not know
         > where the latest iteration stopped, but details can be found
    in RFC
         > 6874 and draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-03.
         >
         > Philip Homburg's RIPE Labs note [2] might also be an interesting
         > read. According to this, getaddrinfo() actually deals with zoned
         > addresses (and hence even data model implementation that pass
    data to
         > getaddrinfo() to obtain socket addresses may do the right thing.)
         >
         > My view is that down in the network layer models, you often
    know the
         > interface by context and ipv6-address-no-zone is sufficient.
    If you go

https://labs.ripe.net/author/philip_homburg/whats-the-deal-with-ipv6-link-local-addresses/