On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Italo Busi <italo.b...@huawei.com> wrote:

> Thanks Andy
>

> I agree with your statement “yang-identifier SHOULD be used instead of
> string for key leafs” and that “yang-identifier is always the most
> appropriate type to use for a key”
>

> The issue is that there are many YANG models either published as RFC or in
> progress which are using string for key leafs. IMHO, it would be better to
> change the type from string to yang-identifier at least in the YANG models
> which are under development

IMO not an issue worth any NBC changes.

> I am wondering whether documenting the outcome of this discussion in an
> I-D, updating RFC8407, would be useful to provide clear guidelines to IETF
> WGs
>

> What do you think?

The appropriate types should be picked during the design process.
It should already be clear that 'pattern' and 'length' are available
to modify the 'string' type.

yang-identifier is too restrictive and 'string' is not restrictive enough.

> BTW, what about using uri for key leafs (see for example RFC8345)?
>

> I think there are other cases where uri could be an appropriate type to
> use for a key …

It's just another 'pattern' to check to the YANG compiler.
If 'uri' is appropriate then use it. Same goes for 'uuid'.

> Thanks, Italo

Andy