On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 7:33 AM Italo Busi <Italo.Busi=
40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>

> I agree with you on the preference for hex-string versus binary in YANG
>

> I also agree with you concerns with hexdump, but parsing has some issues
> when something is unknown (these are the issues that have triggered your
> draft and this discussion), although I also agree with you that the unknown
> is for ‘exception cases’
>

> That’s why I would prefer:
>
>    - A YANG leaf of type bits to report known bits (after parsing) which
>    will cover “most circumstances”
>    - Another YANG leaf of type hex-string for the ‘exception cases’ (or
>    for those who really loves hexdump)

Maybe because hexdump is over 20X more efficient on the wire than the bits
proposal.
Or that a special custom typedef is not needed for every leaf to represent
the bit names.
Or that an extra bit-name to bit-position lookup is not required.

The bits type is intended for permanent bit assignments, where
there is semantics associated with each bit (other than an unknown bit N
set).
It is not meant for temporary assignments that change the identifier over
time.

It is possible to change the status of a bit to "obsolete", which seems to
be sufficient
for the unknown-bits use-case.

There is a similar issue when reporting a protocol field representing an
> enumeration. If the received value is known, it would be better to report a
> string/identity name associated with the recived value but when the value
> is unknown it is only possible to report the hexdump of the field
>

> Italo

Andy