In the current proposal/draft, when bit-1 changes to "known", then suddenly the
server stops sending bit-1 in the unknown-bits.

That behavior changes whether the author remembers (or decides) to update the
description of the unknown-flags or not.

I've suggested that the description of the unknown-flags leaf is updated in
this case.

If the author forgets (or decides not) to update the description, I'm not sure
we'd want to suddenly say that's backwards compatible. The author should (or
perhaps MUST) mark the revision as non-backwards-compatible IMO.

Jason