On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 7:48 AM Carsten Bormann <c...@tzi.org> wrote:

> On 2023-04-24, at 14:20, Michal Vasko <mva...@cesnet.cz> wrote:
> >
> > canonical
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> I don’t know what exactly “canonical” means here.
>

>From the date-and-time typedef:

      The canonical format for date-and-time values with a known time
      zone uses a numeric time zone offset that is calculated using
      the device's configured known offset to UTC time.  A change of
      the device's offset to UTC time will cause date-and-time values
      to change accordingly.  Such changes might happen periodically
      in case a server follows automatically daylight saving time
      (DST) time zone offset changes.  The canonical format for
      date-and-time values with an unknown time zone (usually
      referring to the notion of local time) uses the time-offset
      -00:00, i.e., date-and-time values must be reported in UTC.";

> As a general rule, timestamps used by machines should not use timezones,
> so you should use
>
> 2023-02-22T22:00:00Z

Yes -- this is what a NETCONF server is supposed to do I think.

I am not sure how the timezone would be known to the client or configured
on the server.
The server should always store and send date-and-time values in the 'Z'
format.
IMO, even if there is a "configured known offset to UTC time."

Andy