I do not support this work. Yes, it is some effort on the server side
to figure out how move from config state A to config state B. This
proposal essentially pushes the work towards the clients that now have
to figure out how to single step a server from config state A to
config state B - and if things fail on intermediate steps it is the
clients that have to figure out how to roll back the changes to get
back to config state A (if that is possible at all). The original
promise of NETCONF was that it is not necessary anymore to have
clients that please the server, which was comiing out of many years of
experience with protocols that required clients to please the servers.

If implementations have constraints on what kinds of edits are
possible, then this is an implementation limitation and hence this
should be documented in deviation statements but not in the data
models.

/js

On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 12:42:35PM +0000, Kent Watsen wrote:
> NETMOD WG,
>
> This email begins a 2-week adoption poll for:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ma-netmod-immutable-flag/08
>
> There is no known IPR on this draft (IPR call
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netmod/_S-cKw5jIBmDKEPBRq8KeAbNLGg/>).
>
> Please voice your support or technical objections to adoption on the list by
> the end of the day (any time zone) Sep 19.
>
> Thank you,
> Kent (as co-chair)

Jürgen Schönwälder              Constructor University Bremen gGmbH
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://constructor.university/>