Sorry all - posted this to the wrong list. Will post in NETCONF.

From: netmod <netmod-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Jason Sterne (Nokia)
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2024 2:20 PM
To: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: [netmod] RFC8526 (NETCONF NMDA) max-depth of 1

Some people who received this message don't often get email from
jason.sterne=40nokia....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:jason.sterne=40nokia....@dmarc.ietf.org>.
 Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Hi all,

RFC8526 NETCONF NMDA extensions includes a max-depth parameter described as
follows:
           description
             "For each node selected by the filters, this parameter
              selects how many conceptual subtree levels should be
              returned in the reply.  If the depth is 1, the reply
              includes just the selected nodes but no children.  If the
              depth is 'unbounded', all descendant nodes are included.";

I'm a little unclear on the use-cases for max-depth = 1, or what happens for a
list.

Here is an example. For this module:

module: app
  +--rw basket
     +--rw name?          string
     +--rw contents*      string   // leaf-list
     +--rw fruits* [name]          // list
     |  +--rw name      string
     |  +--rw size?     string

Imagine we have the following instance data on the server:

<basket>
    <contents>fruits</contents>
    <contents>vegetables</contents>
    <fruits>
        <name>apples</name>
        <size>XL</size>
    </fruits>
    <fruits>
        <name>orange</name>
        <size>M</size>
    </fruits>
</basket>

What is returned for a <get-data> with a subtree filter of /basket/fruits and a
max-depth = 1?  (is the list key somehow considered part of the selected nodes
and not a child?)
[I think maybe the same question applies for a filter of /basket and a
max-depth of 2]

There isn't really any use-case for max-depth for leafs or leaf-lists right?
(just the leaf or leaf-list would always be returned since there are no
descendants)

Jason (he/him)