On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 10:59 +0000, Richard Torrens (RiscOS) wrote:

> > I presume the original poster was referring to viewing said pages in an
> > offline mode, whereby the SSIs won't be executed and NetSurf will see the
> > 'raw', original HTML code?
>
> Correct.
>
> But my feeling is that logically the browser should ignore the two <-- -->
> comments and be left with an empty <A HREF="http://";>
>
> It isn't an issue in itself, but may be a useful clue to a bug.

By my understanding, NetSurf is doing its best to parse broken HTML.

HTML comments are not valid inside attribute values.  Thus, NetSurf's
HTML parser does not skip them.  The double-quote inside the first
comment is then treated as the end of the attribute value, and the rest
of the text until the next > that's outside another element is treated
as just nonsense inside the <a> tag, causing the confusion.

B.