On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 23:06:17 +0000 (GMT), John Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can I make a further plea for developers to address the problem (logged)
> which makes it impossible to use (RISC OS) NS for my local pages.

As Rob has said, please do quote the relevant bug report number(s) when
talking about issues -- it's impossible for us to remember the full details
of every single bug report. Also, please change the subject line when you
change the topic being discussed (or, even better, just start an entirely
new thread).

> Druck has pointed out that this is related to CSS files being
sequentially
> loaded (or not, as the case may be).
>
> This arrived between the version of 7th April 2007 and the subsequent
> version, and should thus be not too difficult to isolate.

Were it that simple, it would have been fixed long ago. As it stands,
however, it is anything but simple. Essentially, it boils down to an
interaction between NetSurf and WebJames which causes NetSurf to wait
(until it times out) for data that WebJames never serves.

Causing NetSurf to poll the Wimp at every opportunity during fetching
(rather than polling at centisecond intervals) appears to solve the
problem. However, without an explanation as to _why_ this has any impact
upon things, I'm unwilling to consider this for inclusion into any public
build of NetSurf. Without a suitable explanation, the modification of
polling behaviour may simply be working around the true cause of the
problem (which is not remotely helpful, in the long run).

> I have attempted to raise its priority, but have been 'knocked back'.

I don't quite know what you mean by 'knocked back' but the bug's current
status reflects the fact that a significant amount of time (weeks, fwiw)
has already been expended on hunting down the cause, a hacky workaround is
known about and, without further information, little further progress will
be made. The status also reflects that the person who was investigating the
issue (i.e. me) no longer has a RISC OS machine and is thus not in a
position to seriously investigate further. Put simply; there are more
important things to be working on.

John.