On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:41:24 +0000 (GMT)
Tim Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > How come, if the domain name is illegal, it has been accepted for
> > > registration? I did a whois on it.
> > Because registrars are lax.  Hostname segments should not begin with
> > digits, and this makes it difficult to tell the difference between
> > IP addresses and names.
>
> Is it? http://3663.co.uk/ makes perfect sense.

Perfect sense?  In what way?  By allowing digits as the first
characters in such segments, it means much more work has to be done to
confirm if it is an IP address or not, and older systems correctly
wanted to avoid this, which is why the protocol forbids it, but it just
happens to work with modern software.  This is much in the same way
that many "forbidden" practises are common place in the DNS system
(such as CNAMEs pointing to CNAMEs) - just because they happen to work
on most machines doesn't make them right.  And people like 3com should
really know better!

> There is something here in email address validation which may be of
> relevance:

This is a separate, but related issue.

> > which is sadly true of most
> > people who choose to use PHP
>
> Oh dear! Not a PHP fan? I have implemented quite a bit of PHP: you
> must tell me what I am doing wrong: what is the right way? There's me
> thinking Larry Ullman's book would show me the right way:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Wide-Visual-QuickStart-Guides/dp/0201727870/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1225297865&sr=11-1

No, I am not a PHP fan.  Partly because it's dreadful and encourages
sloppy engineering, but mainly because so many people who use it
shouldn't be allowed near it.  It is the Visual Basic of web site
development systems, except with a far far worse security and
performance track record.

Right way of what?

> My email address is genuine. Please do not reply to this post here.

If you didn't want me to reply here, you should have sent your message
to me, and not the list.

B.