In article <1f59773a50....@nails.ukonline.co.uk>, Jim Nagel
<nets...@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> Jim wrote on March 2:
> > a couple of sites just to underline this longstanding feature
> >      request: http://libraryofavalon.org.uk
> >      http://www.smoothartist.com  this one is close to home!  ;=}

> today i met the designer of the first site and the colour issue came
> up.  he points out that it is designed to be simple black text on a
> white background.  i tried Firefox, and verily i see simple black on
> white.  i checked with Fresco, and it too shows black on white.

Look at the source of http://libraryofavalon.org.uk

It refers to a CSS loa.css, the source of which says:

body { background-color: 000000; .....}

i.e. black. There are no other colo(u)r definitions I can see, so
everything else is default. So you have black text on black in NetSurf.

Other browsers don't get this 'right' because it should say:

body { background-color: #000000; .....}
                         ^
NetSurf isn't bothered by a little missing hash. All other browsers are
hippies, obviously.

> so why is Netsurf (r6761 and 6288 before) showing unreadable blue on
> black?

It's right. Sort of. But FF, MIE, Opera, Safari, and Chrome also don't
agree and want their hash.

> the second site is by Michael Drake.  Netsurf shows his links as
> unreadable blue on black, whereas Firefox shows them underlined white
> on black.

Michael has defined colours in the body tag
<BODY TEXT="#ffffff" LINK="#ffffff" VLINK="#aaaaaa" BGCOLOR="#000000">

Unfortunately (and perhaps very surprisingly) NetSurf ignores LINK and
VLINK in BODY so unless link colours are set with a CSS default colours
only apply. When the background and default link colour are the same or
too similar, netsurf is useless. Wonderful otherwise, of course.  :-)

HTH

Tim Hill,

www.timil.com