In message <4d8668feccea4ec15c9a84c30e157ad0de1f2...@localhost>
          Mike Hobbs <mike.ho...@antplc.com> wrote:

I wrote this message a month or so ago, but, having written, decided not
to post, on the grounds that that a little patience would probably make
the problem go away.  Thus it was in hope that I today made my monthly
download of the latest NetSurf (r8293), only to find that nothing had
changed.

Here's the rest of the message that I'd decided not to post -

> I just tried 2.1 and can't get past the first hurdle...
> "Unicode font library could not be initialized..."

I've just upgraded (briefly) from 090501 (r7386) to 090603 (r7703) and
encountered the same problem.

The last two messages in NetSurf's log file are

   rufl_FONT_MANAGER_ERROR: 0x21e: angela.blackþÿÿÿ encoding not found
   The Unicode font library could not be initialized.

I've no idea whether the ÿÿÿ characters are relevant), but removing the
font Angela from my system merely changes this to

   rufl_FONT_MANAGER_ERROR: 0x21e: arnold.encodþÿÿÿ encoding not found
   The Unicode font library could not be initialized.

I decided against removing any more fonts.

> I'm using it on Virtual RPC-SA (RO 4.02) which has been
> running various versions of NetSurf successfully up to 2.0
> and I just rolled back to 2.0 and its fine.

A real RPC running 4.02 here.  Reverting to 090501 (r7386) has made the
problem go away.

> The only resource/module that was updated was Tinct and the
> new version is working fine with NS 2.0. I've tried both new
> and old !Unicode - no difference.

Ditto.

Has anyone found a solution?

Chris