In message <62c4bd3551.old_coas...@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk> Tony Moore
wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2010, Mike Hobbs <mike.ho...@antplc.com> wrote:

>> This has been bugging me for a while but its very minor...
>>
>> !NetSurf.!Run is always open whilst running NS. This means my backup
>> (to propagate new versions to another machine via USB memory)
>> complains.

> Maybe I misunderstand the problem, but why not quit NetSurf before you
> try to backup?

To answer this and other comments and suggestions:
 1 The 'backup' tool I use is DirSync and its extremely useful
    but it doesn't seem to be able to copy files that are open
    (even though RISC OS does allow multiple opens for read)
 2 I don't have the luxury of changing the way DirSync works
    and the author has stopped maintaining it. Although I
    offered to continue to to maintain it, that suggestion fell
    on deaf ears.
 3 I could close NetSurf before syncing directories but that is
    little different from having to dismiss an error box - it
    needs manual intervention. NS is running almost 24x7 too.
 4 I can (and do) edit the !Run file to allow it to close after
    NS starts but its a nuisance when updating NS regularly.
 5 Integrity of the backup is not an issue because its just a
    NS file that cab be easily recovered from elsewhere, but,
    whilst DirSync can ignore directories it can't be told to
    ignore files. See 2 above.
 6 The suggestion to get the NS binary to remove the fonts on
    exit would be most convenient, or simply don't bother to
    remove them at all.  This is what I'd like implemented.

--
Mike Hobbs