Chris Young <chris.yo...@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:45:13 GMT, Chris Shepheard wrote:
>
> > In message <51b8fe8642...@timil.com>
> >           Tim Hill <t...@timil.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There is a <noscript> section which should display: it tells you to
> > > enable javascript!
> >
> > Very helpful!
> >
> > Especially as that does not display either.
>
> That's obviously a bug, has it been raised on the bug tracker?

http://www.google.com/ig

With a not entirely straight face and the good offices of (what do you want
to use that pile of old junk for) Fresco, which does render the site, I was
directed to this :-

<ul>
<li>Google Chrome</li>
<li>Internet Explorer 7.x</li>
<li>Internet Explorer 8.x</li>
<li>Firefox 3.x</li>
<li>Safari 3</li>
<li>Safari 4</li>
</ul>
you have the latest version of your browser. Please note that you need to <a
href="answer.py?answer=23852">enable JavaScript</a> to view and edit your
iGoogle page.</div>

"make sure you have the latest version of your browser" indeed!! The latest
mainstream browsers are Safari 5, Firefox 4 and IE9.

Back to the plot, I found that by commenting out a wodge of script NetSurf
would light up, somewhere in that commented out section is the reason why
the noscript section is missed.

http://pittdj.co.uk/temp/igoogle.zip

The really clever bit is that guess what disabling javascript in Safari 5
and Firefox 4 does, up comes the same pale blue screen the Netsurf displays
with no sign at all of the noscript message. So it is not a Netsurf
bug/issue at all.

If Netsurf had any money they could sponsor students to help Google with
their code.

--
David Pitt