On 11 Oct 2011  cj <ch...@chris-johnson.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <47289a2052.pnyo...@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>,
>    Dr Peter Young <pnyo...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:
>> I've been doing the saves in today's directory of Transient, which
>> is fairly deep in the directory hierarchy. I've tried now saving
>> to a temporary directory in the root, and can save as many times
>> as I like. As NetSurf obviously isn't at fault here, is it
>> Transient or the filer that is causing the problem? In any case,
>> the bug report can be closed, I think.

> I guess the test is to continually add a dir recursively inside your
> temporary directory, and see at what point the save fails - then try
> a save from a different app. It could still be a problem in NetSurf
> when it has a long filepath to deal with. The other test is to use
> short and long names for the directories to see if it is simply the
> length of path, or the depth of the path.

I'm glad you've done that experiment, as I'm constitutionally lazy.

> Actually I have just tried a test and Netsurf does go into a black
> hole when the path is long. It does not need to be the same save. Eg
> save the location text into a deep directory. Goes ok. Open another
> save dialogue, e.g. save full page - NS exits immediately the save as
> dialogue opens. There may be a problem with memory buffering for the
> file names.

Interesting, but going beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid. One for the
developers, if it may in fact be a NetSurf bug?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.